"Be the change that you want to see in the world." Gandhi

Friday, June 10, 2011

Book Donations! Please and Thank you!

Greetings from your favorite Peace Corps Volunteer,

As you all know, I am serving two years as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Costa Rica. I was accepted to the TEFL or Teaching English as a Foreign Language program and have been living in Costa Rica since October. Currently, I work in rural Northern Costa Rica at three elementary schools and teach grades 1-6. These students are receiving English classes for the first time. So exciting for the kids and schools! 

The Challenge: These schools have basic materials and little funding to meet the needs of their students. Forget about English resources, there is nothing. I spend a majority of my time preparing for class by drawing, writing and making all materials for my students. 

The Need: Children's Story Books! This would be an amazing tool for teaching English. I am looking for book donations from friends and family who have outgrown their books. All types of children's books would be greatly appreciated!! I plan to take themes from books and create a more interesting fun lesson out of the stories. For example: "The Very Hungry Caterpillar," I could use that story to teach days of the week, numbers, colors and food. 

The Sad Factor: Children don't read for fun. There is no reading circle during school, bedtime stories at home, or book clubs during vacation. Books are expensive, many families can't afford to purchase them. As a result reading for fun and to promote learning is non-existent. I made a small picture book, complete with illustrations, for a 1st grade class to teach numbers 1-5. While reading the children where completely focused. They laughed when I spoke in funny voices or made silly faces. At the end of the story, I asked the students what was their favorite book to read? No response. Through a little more talking I found out that this was the first story book that had ever been read to the students. It made me so sad, because I loved bedtime stories, especially when my parents read to me. I still remember my favorite books and can't wait to read them to my own children one day. This is why I would love to incorporate books into my lessons. Firstly, to show that reading is FUN! Secondly, to use as an English resources and something I can leave behind that the children can continue to use after my two years of service.

Books: These are just ideas...I will gladly accept and use anything you find to donate. THANK YOU!

The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?
The Rainbow Fish
Anything by Dr. Seuss
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
The Little Engine that Could
5 Little Monkeys
Good Night Moon
The Story of Ferdinand the Bull
Tikki Tikki Tembo
Guess How Much I Love You
The Berentstain Bears

Any book, all books would be an amazing gift for my students and something I know they will love.

If you find books you are willing to donate they can be sent to my mom or myself. If you are interested in donating please email me! I will give more details and contact information for send the books.

My email: julianne.davis23@gmail.com

THANK YOU/GRACIAS!
Julianne

No comments:

Post a Comment