"Be the change that you want to see in the world." Gandhi

Friday, February 25, 2011

First Day of TEACHING...

Feb 24, 2011
First Day of English Class!

4th and 5th Grade Class
I didn't sleep at all the night before. I kept thinking about the fact that I've never taught English before, no experience, no idea what I'm doing, my Spanish is not the greatest...the kids are going to eat me alive.

La Escuela de Coope Isabel has 3 classrooms (including kinder) and a seperate building, el comedor, or the kitchen where food is prepared and students eat lunch. The day is split in 2, in the morning half the students have classes and in the afternoon they switch for the other grades. Esentially each student gets about 3.5-4 hours of school each day. (significantly less than in the States) In the morning first graders have one classroom and fourth and fifth share the other. In the afternoon sixth graders in one class with second and third combined in the other class.

For the first lesson I decied to teach greetings, something we can use at the begining of every class to establish a routine. We brainstormed, wrote, listen and played "hot potato," I gave out homework and that was the end of each class. The morning went surprisingly well. I had some free time around lunch. Then the afternoon classes began. I went to the sixth grade first. It was hot they had extra energy they needed to burn off but over all they listened and we got through everything I planned for their lesson. When I got to the second and third graders I made sure to establsh the class rules and what I would do when I needed their attention. This was the biggest class of the day and combined 2 very young levels. Started out great, everyone writing the vocabulary in their notebooks, when we got to the "hot potato" game the noise level went crazy and the class steadly fell apart. No matter what I did I couldn't get them back to where I needed them...thank god for recess. The class ended, I wasn't able to complete the lesson which was unfortunate, but I was so glad to go home where it was quiet.

My first day went better than expected. Productive lessons for the most part and I know where I really need to have perfect classroom management.

No comments:

Post a Comment