"Be the change that you want to see in the world." Gandhi

Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Rat

My new house is more spacious than where I lived for training, which was a pleseant surprise. I have my own room at the corner of the house with a door leading into the house as well as to the outside. (The only thing missing from my doorway into the house was an actual door.) The set up alows me to come and go as I please and be involved as much as I want with the happenings of the house or room to have privacy and space. (However, wanting to spend time alone is very unusual to Costa Ricans) The first thing I did when I got to my room was set up mosquito net, yes I am married to it now. (And fully committed to making it work :)

Once upon a time...

My sister decided to have a party with her High School friends since they were all back in town for the christmas holiday. She introduced me to them, we chatted for a bit and then I bowed out. They were all very welcoming, but I didn't want to have to think in Spanish or play catch up to understand all of the inside jokes from school. It was late...okay it was 9 o'clock, but I was really tired so I went to bed. (Yes, I'm and old lady who enjoys the early bird special and is married to my mosquiot net.) After I secure my mosquito net so that there was no way anything was getting in and I sure as hell wasn;t get out, I fell into a coma.

Sometime later in the night I heard shuffling. I figured it was someone from the party looking for the bathroom, so I fell back asleep. Then I woke up suddenly but didn't understand why until I heard something in my room screaming and bangining into the walls, my bed, the outside door ect. My first thought was, "Its a monkey!" "What am I going to name him?" And then I realized it wasn't a monkey, it was a huge RAT! And I was trapped in my bed by my mosquito net with no lights. So I tried screaming...nope, no one heard me and it just made the rat run faster. When I knew it was under my bed I pole vaulted out of my bed and to the main part of the house.

After I successfully got everyone in my family out of bed and armed for a counter attack, the rat had gone...no doubt waiting and plotting its next ambush. My brother thought I was just hearing the rats in the ceiling, but I swear on the most holy of Nutella jars that there was a big, fat, gray rat running and screaming around my room. Needless to say for the next week I acted like a 5 year old who has monsters in their closet and jumped at every night time noise I heard.

To this day the rat still lerks in the shadows gloating at its successful escape while sneaking around the house at night...Mark my words I will catch him!

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment